VOLPE’S VELOX™ Trumpet Case
Named after the legendary MN Orchestra veteran trumpeter Clement Volpe, (retired after 41 years!) and his son, Minnesota Opera trumpeter Chris Volpe — regarded as “the most working-est freelance trumpeter in Minneapolis history” — the new VOLPE’S VELOX trumpet case is “in production,” pending electrical work at our new St. Paul factory. The name plays on the Latin Vulpes Velox, which is the “Swift Fox” found in the Western United States.
These are photos of prototypes, and the finish will be a uniform high gloss on shipped items.
NOTE: This is a LONG delayed product — we have invested over $100,000 into the R&D and equipment to make these happen, and the last tool we needed arrived on 12/1/22. These will finally reach the market this summer — we’re waiting on St. Paul’s Exel Energy has to install our 600 Amp 3-phase service, and then we can fire up the foam injection machine and the ovens. We will fill the backorders first. The injection machine is shown in the last photo — it’s the size of an SUV, with 5 motors! Update 8/1: Exel Energy is slated to begin power installation any day, then Pulse Electric will be in to finish lighting, tool installation, etc. Injection training via the machine builder will happen in August, and then we think we are off and running! Several things are out of our control, power being the biggest hurdle. Almost there, we think!
Protection and Options
- 3 pound density molded open cell flexible foam — the really good stuff — universally cradles your trumpet, and is molded well into the bell.
- Unlike plastic or wood, fiberglass and carbon fiber ensure a nearly indestructible design.
- The optional GECKO™ radio clips onto the side, and carries one computer or some small books.
- The optional IGUANA™ radio clips onto the side, and carries one computer or some small books, as well as a few mutes in a well padded compartment. The Velox is somewhat triangular, and this is roughly the same shape mounted the opposite direction.
- The optional GILA MONSTER™ radio clips onto the other side, and features room for a computer and books, or enough space for weekend travel, designed somewhat like a saddlebag.
- Photos of the options are coming soon, and we’re trying to design them to be interchangeable with future cases, whenever possible.
- Volpe’s Velox Trumpet Cases are true aerospace! Unlike many carbon fiber products, these are made using pre-preg carbon fiber, which is formulated to provide an optimal and consistent ratio between carbon and epoxy. Nor is this set at room temperature: It must be cooked at a high temperature with a complicated ramp up, hold, and dwell schedule while maintaining constant high pressure.
- Choose carbon fiber for a pre-preg carbon fiber shell with a lightweight DuPont Aramid (Kevlar) Nomex honeycomb core.
- Choose fiberglass for an epoxy-based resin-infused fiberglass shell. There will be a Soric core added for edge rigidity. These are also cured under heat and pressure for a high performance, lightweight, and extremely durable product.
- In fiberglass, choose Black, Brown, Cobalt Blue or Vanilla Cream Gel Coat.
- The carbon fiber has a high-gloss clear coat, retaining the desirable woven-carbon look.
- Black or Brown Leather case covers are available for all cases, but please note that this adds weight.
- High-end components.
- Heavy-duty metal hardware — latches stay latched!
- Includes a 2-inch wide no-slip shoulder strap.
- One Trumpet.
- Internal spots for TWO mouthpieces, valve oil, and more.
- Shoulder Strap.
- This case is the world’s slimmest trumpet case, and somehow offers the best protection.
- 6.5 inches wide X 7.5 inches tall at the largest tapered end — incredible!
- Anticipated weight is 5 pounds for fiberglass, 3 pounds for carbon fiber.
- 22 inches long.
- Flies GREAT!
- For cunning students and crafty professionals who want to carry the world’s slimmest and protective trumpet case, VOLPE’S VELOX™ is the swift choice.